Skriuklaustur

  • 65-2_rhombie_hengifoss_13.jpg
  • Skriuklaustur in the winter
  • Archsite
  • Skriuklaustur

Skriuklaustur is an ancient manor estate in Fljtsdalur. From 1493 - 1552 a monastery operated there. In the years 2002 - 2012 an extensivearchaeologicalexcavation took place on the cloister ruins which are now open to visitors. The writer Gunnar Gunnarsson (1889 - 1975) bought Skriklaustur in 1939 and built a large house there designed by the German architect Fritz Hger. The writer moved to Reykjavk in 1948 and donated Skriuklaustur to the Icelandic nation. In 2000 the institute of Gunnar Gunnarsson resumed operation in Skriuklaustur as a centre of culture and history. In the summertime Skriuklaustur comes alive with various exhibitions, cultural happenings and guided tours for visitors around the writer's house and the archaeologicalsite.


Opening hours 2018:
Aprilkl: 12 - 16 virka daga
- kl. 12-17 helgar og helgidaga

May:kl. 11-17 alla daga

June- August, kl. 10-18

September, kl. 11-17 alla daga

October, kl. 12-16 virka daga
- kl. 12-17 helgar og helgidaga.

Tour operators

  • Skriuklaustur

    In 2000 theinstituteof Gunnar Gunnarsson resumed operation in Skriuklaustur as a centre of culture and history. In the summertime Skriuklaustur comes alive with various exhibitions, cultural happenings and guided tours for visitors around the writer's house and the archaeologicalsite.

Visit Egilsstair

Visit Egilsstair
Kaupvangur 17
700 Egilsstair
S. 470 07 50
info@visitegilsstadir.is

Egilsstair area

Social Media

2008 - 2019 | Egilsstadir region | ABOUT US | SITEMAP

Division